The Czech Katerina Siniakova outplayed the Croat Donna Vekic in three sets 3/6, 6/2, 4/6. After the match she spoke to the press-service of St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy 2018.
- What was your reaction when you’ve learnt the WTA Finals will be held in Shenzhen where you usually do really well?
- On the one hand, I was happy as I show good results in Shenzhen. On the other hand, I like to play in Russia as half of my family is Russian. My grandfather and my friends came here to support me. And Russia is closer than Shenzhen. Also I’ve noticed that the tournament in Bostad (which I won) was moved to Moscow.
- Maybe it’s a good sign! How did you spend your off-season?
- I have a new physio. She is very positive. I was practicing at home, in Prague and felt myself very well being close to my family and friends. It seemed to me my mental conditions had a positive impact on my fitness level. Everything went well. I was trying to follow some special food regimen. It’s not a diet, it’s just about eating the right food at the right time.
- You have good results in doubles. How did you manage to play both singles and doubles?
- I like to play doubles. I started to play singles and doubles from the very beginning of my career. I think I am a very universal player: I can play either volley or on the baseline. The singles are my priority, but as longf as my results in doubles are good I will try to play both.
- It’s not your first time here in St. Petersburg. Did you manage to do some sightseeing? Or maybe you have some special plans this time around?
It’s not my first time in St. Petersburg. Two years ago we went to the Hermitage and St. Isaac Cathedral. I enjoy being there, it’s a beautiful city, I especially admire the architecture. I was thinking about coming here in the summer because during the tournament it’s difficult to appreciate the city especially in winter when there is a lot of snow (though I am not against winter at all), but still it’s not easy.